A torque wrench is an excellent tool that is used to apply a specific torque to the fastener, like bolt and nut. It is used where the tightness of bolts and screws is essential. It is used to control and apply a specific torque to a fastener such as a bolt and a nut. It is one of the fundamental elements in general mechanics, used in industrial maintenance and in repairing industries for ensuring the customer’s safety. Each vehicle type has different types of torque specifications, which are set up by the manufacturers. A torque controlled solution must be used to tighten the required torque. A high-quality torque wrench is a calibrated torque wrench, which is considered as an ideal instrument, for automotive or machinery repairs. Before using it, one must know very well how to use it, about its working process and how to choose the right one for a specific purpose.
Key Recommendations For Using Torque Wrenches
- A torque wrench is the best tightening tool: It is a précised tightening and sensitive tool and should not be used to loosen the bolts.
- Always handle torque wrench carefully: It is always recommended that the torque wrench must be handled carefully as it is a measurement instrument and should be stored in a storage box, so that it may be protected from any shock.
- Stop turning wrench when it starts clicking or stops moving: The clicking noise while tightening indicates that the desired torque level.
- Always dial the wrench back to zero after using it: When it is done using the wrench, then turn the dial settings on the handle back to zero. Turning wrench to negative numbers is bad for a wrench.
- Clean dust and rusty nuts or bolts before loosening them: It is always suggested that to clean the rusty or dirty nuts before loosening them, otherwise it will damage the wrench. It will make it harder for a torque wrench to get an adequate grip on the socket and may create problems.
- Get your wrench calibrated once a year at least: While using a torque wrench, it is advised to get your wrench calibrated at least once a year.
- Turn the handle clockwise for tightening the nut or bolt: To begin tightening of the nut and bolt, always rotate the handle clockwise. Almost all the torque wrenches have the automatic return functions.
- Fit the socket on the top of nut or bolt that is used for tightening: Always use the dominant hand to guide the socket, extender, or adaptor on to the bolt and nut. If the manual wrenches are used, then it will stop moving after the nut and bolt have reached to the intended level of torque.
- Turn the bolt or nut by hand until it catches the threading given on the screw: Take the bolt and nut which is to be tightening, and then place it over the threading for the screw. Turn the nut and bolt of the vehicle clockwise with your fingers until the threading catches the threading on the screw. Turn the nut and bolt until it won’t turn by the hand anymore.
- Turn the dial either to raise or lower the setting of torque on the wrench: With the tighter loosened, turn the handle clockwise to raise and counterclockwise to lower it.
Therefore, by seeing the above parameters, we can conclude that a torque wrench is a special tool that is specially designed to tighten the nuts and bolts at specific levels accurately.
Different Types of Torques
There are various types of torques used for different purposes as follows:
- Bending Beam
- Torque plus angle
How to use Digital Torque Wrench?
A digital torque wrench is used in the manufacturing or the production facilities when the main motto is key precision. It can be used for homes also. There are various steps to be followed for using a digital torque wrench as follows:
- Step 1: First of all, set the torque value on the digital torque wrench, there is a “SET’ button and arrows can be moved up or down to change the value of torque.
- Step 2: Set the lower and upper thresholds for the safety and quality purposes of control.
- Step 3: Place the torque wrench and make adjustments and most of the digital torque wrenches have light or buzzer which indicates that when you should stop applying torque.
- Step 4: Then check your reading, most of the digital torque wrenches use green color light for knowing the correct torque has been achieved, while the red light indicates that the torque was not within the correct or right tolerance zone.
How to use Dial Torque Wrench?
The dial torque wrenches are highly recognized for the highest level of accuracy when tightening the bolts, machinery, or vehicles. It is generally used in repair and production facilities by using a dial mode that offers quality control. Many people use these for the adjustment of important nuts and bolts such as those holding car tires in place. There are various steps involved as follows:
Step 1: Set up your torque wrench value to the desired torque setting which is dependent on the job. A double end drive is used for tightening and loosening.
Step 2: Then position the torque wrench on nut and bolt and then start making adjustments. Many models have a feature of light or the beep which states that you have reached the correct setting of torque.
Step 3: Finally check the reading of torque. Stop turning the torque, once it has reached the correct torque.
How to use Adjustable Torque Wrench?
An adjustable or click is very simple to use and it is a simple tool that can be used to make adjustments to heavy-duty products car. Before using it, there must be calibration on the torque and it must calibrate once a year at least.
The torque wrench can withstand much wear and tear. It can accurately handle the calibration of torque wrenches. It is always advised to choose the professional who has the knowledge and understands how to set the torque wrench accurately.