Technology is the collection of technique skills, methods and processes used in the production of anything like cell phones, communication, robotics, ammunition etc. In the field of automobiles, the technology is very vast and providing latest features every day. These days all cars are coming with latest features for our safety and entertainment. There are many types of features like ABS, Keyless entry, automatic head lights, parking sensors and many more.
These days companies are trying to develop driverless cars include BMW, Ford, Audi, General Motors, Volvo etc. There are several systems that work in conjunction with each other to control a driverless car. Radar sensors dotted around the car monitor the position of a vehicle nearby and helps to detect the edges of roads by bouncing waves of light off the cars surroundings.
A driverless car is a self driving car or an automated car that is designed to travel between particular destinations without any human driver. But to qualify as a fully autonomous, a car must be capable to navigate without human to know the destination over roads that have not been adapted for its use.
Self driving cars will play an important role in improving speed and safety of transportation facilities. The self driving cars have a hardware which drives car safer than any human driver. The financial cost as well as the maintenance cost will be reduced with these self driven cars.
All the models of Tesla vehicles are now coming out with the hardware which has the capability of full self driving at a safety level. Some of the main features of Tesla cars are:
- These cars have 8 cameras which provided 360 degree visibility up to 250 meters range.
- 12 ultrasonic sensors to detect both hard and soft objects from the twice of distance of prior system.
- Radar with latest technology which provides additional data like rain, fog, dust etc.
- Capable of seeing and drive through heavy fog and rain.
- Powerful computer is placed to sense all the data
This latest system is beyond the human senses because a human cannot see in every direction simultaneously while driving. These cars are already in production now and some people are already booked them to buy. The Tesla behaves like a human; it would not panic to slam on the brakes.
How it works?
- The driver sets a destination on the computer and software will calculate the route and starts the car on its way.
- The light detection and ranging technology sensor starts monitoring 60 meter range and create a 2D map around the car
- A sensor on left rear wheel monitor sideways movement to detect the position.
- Radar in the front and rear calculate the distance between other vehicles and your vehicle.
- AI software is connected to all sensors to see the Google street view map.
- The landmark is also shown on the screen while navigation.
So, this system allows you to do other things while travelling like workings reading or sleeping.